Janice M. Juraska
Professor of Psychology
- neuroanatomical plasticity, hormones, development, cognition
My students and I examine hormonal influences on neuronal structure. The emphasis is on cognitive parts of the rat brain, such as the cerebral cortex, corpus callosum and hippocampus, and on cognitive behavior. Our current projects include the neural and behavioral changes during adolescence and puberty and the effects of endocrine disruptors (eg, BPA) during early development and during adolescence.
- Ph.D. from the University of Colorado
- M.A. University of Illinois
- B.A. Lawrence University
- Brain and Mind: Psych 210
- History and systems of the biology of behavior: Psych 593
- Juraska, Janice M., and Leslie M. Wise. "Brain: Response to Enrichment.." International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edition, . Oxford, 2015. 835=840.
- Kougias, Daniel G., Suzanne O. Nolan, Wendy A. Koss, Taehyeon Kim, Emily R. Hankosky, Joshua M. Gulley, and Janice M. Juraska. "Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) ameliorates aging effects in the dendritic tree of pyramidal neurons in the medial prefrontal cortex of both male and female rats. ." Neurobiology of Agin 40 (2016): 78-85.
- Wise, Leslie M., Renee N. Sadowski, Taehyeon Kim, Jari Willing, and Janice Juraska. "Long-term effects of adolescent exposure to bisphenol A on neuron and glia number in the rat prefrontal cortex: Differences between the sexes and cell type. ." Neurotoxicology 53 (2016): 186-192.
- Willing, Jari, Carly M. Drzewiecki, Bethany A. Cuenod, Laura R. Cortes, and Janice M. Juraska. " A role for puberty in water maze performance in male and female rats.." Behavioral Neuroscience 130.4 (2016): 422-427.
- Willing, Jari, and Janice M. Juraska. " The timing of neuronal loss across adolescence in the medial prefrontal cortex of male and female rats.." Neuroscience 301 (2015): 268-275.
Click on the title to check out these pictures from the classroom remodeling project in the basement. A second project to replace the elevators will begin in September. Beginning with the freight elevator, each elevator will be out of service for three months. To get quickly from one floor to another, and improve your fitness, we will encourage the use of the stairs. The repainting of the northeast stairwell has been completed, and the painter is starting on the southwest stairwell. The repainted stairwell looks astonishingly better. Be sure to thank Rick, the painter, who has been working hard on the repainting for many weeks.