Donelson E Dulany Jr
Professor Emeritus of Psychology
Address: 421 Psychology Bldg.
603 E. Daniel Street
Champaign, IL 61820
- Telephone: (217)333-2971
My research has had a continuing theme: What in mental activity is carried by consciousness and what is nonconscious? The work has consisted of experimental and theoretical analyses ranging from *subliminal perception* and verbal conditioning to intentional action, concept learning, causal reasoning, and explicit-implicit learning. Much of this work has challenged prevailing views. Out of this has come a more general metatheoretical view on which mental episodes--what occurs between sensory and motor transduction--consist of nonconscious mental operations interrelating conscious states, the sole carriers of symbolic contents. In deliberative episodes, propositional contents are interrelated by operations of inference and decision, and in evocative episodes non-propositional contents are interrelated by associative-activational operations. What are conscious and nonconscious in mental activity are very different but inseparable.
- Ph.D. from University of Michigan
- Modern Viewpoints in Psychology, Consciousness & Non-conscious Processes, Cognitive Psychology, Systematic Psychology
- Dulany, D. E. "How should we understand implicit and explicit processes in scientific thinking?." Psychology of Science: Implicit and Explicit Processes. Ed. R W. Proctor and E J. Capaldi. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2012. 199-227.
- Dulany, D. E. "Psychology and the Study of Consciousness." Oxford Companion to Consciousness. Ed. T. Bayne, A. Cleeremans, and P. Wilkens. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 2009. 540-544.
- Dulany, D. E. "Higher order representation in a mentalistic metatheory." Higher-order theories of consciousness. Ed. R. J. Gennaro. Amsterdam & Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 2004. 315-338.
- Dulany, D E. "Consciousness in explicit (deliberative) and implicit (evocative)." Scientific Approaches to Consciousness. Ed. J D. Cohen and J W. Schooler. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1997. 97-120.
- Dulany, D. E. "What should be the roles of conscious states and brain states in theories of mental activity?." Mens Sana Monographs 9.1 (2011): 93-112.
- Dulany, D. E. "Strategies for putting consciousness in its place." Journal of Consciousness Studies 10.1 (2003): 33-43.
- Dulany, D E. "Mentalistic metatheory and strategies." Behavioral and Brain Sciences 24 (2002): 337-338.
- Dulany, D. E. " Inattentional awareness." Psyche: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Research on Consciousness 7.05 (2001):
Click on the title to check out these pictures from the classroom remodeling project in the basement. A second project to replace the elevators will begin in September. Beginning with the freight elevator, each elevator will be out of service for three months. To get quickly from one floor to another, and improve your fitness, we will encourage the use of the stairs. The repainting of the northeast stairwell has been completed, and the painter is starting on the southwest stairwell.