Brian H. Ross
Professor Emeritus of Psychology
- Address: 835
- Telephone: (217)333-8745
Cognitive psychology issues in learning, memory, problem solving and categorization. In particular: problem-solving and learning in complex domains, categorization, learning, and use of concepts. Remindings and the use of memory.
- Ph.D. from Stanford University
- Psychology 224 -- Introduction to Cognition
- Psychology 503 -- Concepts and Categories
- Psychology 523 -- Problem solving
- Mestre, Jose P., Jennifer Docktor, Natalie Strand, and Brian H. Ross. "Conceptual problem solving in physics. ." The psychology of learning and motivation, Vol. 55: Cognition in education. . Ed. Jose P. Mestre and Brian H. Ross. San Diego: Academic Press, 2011.
- Benjamin, Aaron S., and Brian H. Ross. "The causes and consequences of reminding. ." Successful remembering and successful forgetting: A Festschrift in honor of Robert A. Bjork. . Ed. Aaron S. Benjamin. New York: Psychology Press, 2010.
- Jones, Erin L. "Classification versus inference learning contrasted with real-world categories." Memory & Cognition 39 (2011): 764-777.
- Murphy, Gregory L., and Brian H. Ross. "Uncertainty in category-based induction: When do people integrate across categories? ." Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition 36 (2010): 263-276.
Click on the title to check out these pictures from the classroom remodeling project in the basement. A second project to replace the elevators will begin in September. Beginning with the freight elevator, each elevator will be out of service for three months. To get quickly from one floor to another, and improve your fitness, we will encourage the use of the stairs. The repainting of the northeast stairwell has been completed, and the painter is starting on the southwest stairwell.