- A summer internship is the best way to find out if you really want to do something as a career.
- It gives you hands-on experience in what the work and work-place will be like.
- You learn outside of the classroom and get practice for "real life."
- An internship is also the best way to build your résumé and get your foot in the door for a job.
- Networking, networking, networking. You can make important contacts with people that can help you launch your career.
- DuPage Medical Group, Downers Grove, IL. www.dupagemedicalgroup.com
- Crisis Nursery, Urbana, IL. www.crisisnurssery.net
- Lambs Farm, Libertyville, IL. www.lambsfarm.org
- Orleans Public Defenders, New Orleans, LA. www.opdla.org
- Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI www.aurorahealthcare.org
- Elgin Mental Health Center, Elgin, IL
- The Alliance for Human Services, Lake County, IL
You can receive course credit for your summer internship experience by enrolling in the Psychology Department's Capstone Internship Experience PSYC 495 that is offered every fall semester.
- Credit: 3 hours.
- This capstone seminar will connect students' summer internship experiences to their academic major in Psychology and to their career goals. Students will reflect, discuss and build on their internship experiences to help them identify the skills and abilities they have and need to be successful. They will participate in both individual assignments and team projects that will facilitate their ability to communicate in the many different careers available to students with a degree in psychology. No graduate credit.
- Prerequisite: Completion of an internship during previous summer.
Psychology alumni have donated funds to the Shape the Future Today campaign to promote internships. They have created a Professional Development Award to support unpaid internships. Click below to find out how to apply.
This award will
- provide financial support for qualified undergraduate students in psychology who take on unpaid summer internships related to their field of interest.
- be made each year depending the quality of applications.
- be for $500 - $1,000, with 2-6 Professional Development Awards granted depending on the availability of funds.
Current UIUC Psychology undergraduate students who have:
- secured an unpaid summer internship lasting for at least six weeks with a minimum of 160 hours of total work performed.
- registered for the Capstone Internship Experience (PSYC 495) for the fall semester.
- a minimum UIUC GPA of 3.0 both in the major and overall.
How to apply:
Submit a completed application packet to the Department of Psychology’s Undergraduate Advising Office on or before May 11, 2016 at 5:00pm.
Application Packet Checklist (one copy of each of the following):
- Completed Application Form - https://illinois.edu/fb/sec/8709543
- Responses to Essay Questions
- Proof of Internship (offer letter from supervisor must confirm dates, total hours to be worked, and that the internship is unpaid)
Please contact Bob Wickesberg (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.