How To Declare A Concentration

Section 1



Declared students wishing to choose a Psychology Concentration, can request it at any time during their undergraduate career. However, we encourage students to wait until at least junior year to make the decision (interest change, etc). Your advisor will be happy to complete the electronic paperwork and sbumit it to the college. Your Degree Audit will then reflect your new concentation. Undeclaring a concentration is simple - contact your advisor.

All ICT/Curricular Changes + Freshmen and Transfer Students Admitted Spring 2017

You are admitted to the program as "Psych: No Concentration"

Please talk with your academic advisor about your plans and "be intentional"!

  • Continue taking the appropriate Psychology Concentration courses.
  • Generate a concentration specific Degree Audit Report - Request an Audit; Choose "Select a Different Program" and use the drop-down menus (**Catalog Year - New US Minortiy Cultures requirement - Freshmen and Transfer students admitted to UIUC SU18 and later - select the year that you started at UIUC; all other students, select the year you began your post-high school education)

Request an Audit page that allows students to select majors



Section 2



FAQs - General

Q: Can I have more than one concentration?

A: No, concentrations are single majors

Q: Minimum GPA for a concentration?

A: 2.0 gpa is required for all concentrations

Q: Can I switch concentrations?

A: Yes, but you will switch/declare your concentration in October of your senior year (or sooner if courses are completed)

Q: Do PSYC 290 research hours count?

A: Only for General Concentration.

Q: Can study abroad classes count?

A: Only with pre-approval from Associate Head for Undergraduate Affairs.