Daniel S Storage M.A.
Graduated summa cum laude with a B.S. in developmental psychology from the University of California at San Diego; now a Ph.D. student at the University of Illinois developmental psychology department.
- Developmental Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Stereotypes, Prejudice, and Social Injustice
- Gender Gaps
- How Children Think
The vast majority of my research concerns the underrepresentation of women and African Americans in academia, as well as the development of stereotypes and messages that might lead to that underrepresentation. The ultimate goal of my research program is to increase the participation of women and African Americans in fields lacking diversity (e.g., physics, philosophy, and so on).
In particular, research from our lab shows that fields with pervasive messages about the necessity of "brilliance" or "genius" for success (e.g., physics, philosophy, and so on) tend to have fewer proportions of women and African Americans. This is in large part due to a cultural stereotype against the intelligence of these groups (i.e., if you aren't brilliant, then you don't belong in this field). By reducing the emphasis of such messages about the necessity of "brilliance", and turning rather to an emphasis on hard work and dedication, we should be able to increase the diversity of fields in which women and African Americans are currently underrepresented.
Moreover, our research shows that children acquire (or, at least, become aware of) this stereotype at around 6 years of age. Special care should be taken to avoid communicating, either explicitly or implicitly, these messages to children.
- UC San Diego
- University of Illinois
Distinctions / Awards
- 2014 Excellent Teacher Award
- 2015 Excellent Teacher Award
- 2016 Excellent Teacher Award
- 2017 Excellent Teacher Award
- Graduate Teacher Certificate
- Goss-Lucas Award for Excellence in Teaching Introductory Psychology
- Department Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching by a Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Introduction to Statistics
- Research Methods: Developmental Psychology Lab
- How Children Think
- Developmental Psychopathology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Introduction to Child Psychology
- PSYC 612
- "The frequency of “brilliant” and “genius” in teaching evaluations predicts the representation of women and African Americans across fields.." PLOS ONE (2016):
- "Data from a pre-publication independent replication initiative examining ten moral judgement effects.." Nature: Scientific Data (2016):
- "The pipeline project: Pre-publication independent replications of a single laboratory's research pipeline.." Journal of Experimental Social Psychology (2015):
Click on the title to check out these pictures from the classroom remodeling project in the basement. A second project to replace the elevators will begin in September. Beginning with the freight elevator, each elevator will be out of service for three months. To get quickly from one floor to another, and improve your fitness, we will encourage the use of the stairs. The repainting of the northeast stairwell has been completed, and the painter is starting on the southwest stairwell.