Sarah Havens Sperry
- Bipolar Disorder
- Ambulatory Assessment
- Affective Science
My research broadly examines bipolar spectrum disorders from behavioral, cognitive, and physiological perspectives. More specifically, I am interested in affect regulation, impulsivity, and reward sensitivity and how these factors influence risk for the development of and outcomes related to bipolar psychopathology. I primarily use experience sampling methodology and ambulatory assessments to examine these constructs in daily life.
- Tufts University, B.S.
- University of North Carolina Greensboro, M.A.
Distinctions / Awards
- APAGS Junior Scientist Fellowship
- Nancy Hirschberg Memorial Research Award
- Ed Scheiderer Memorial Research Award
- Harper, Kelly L., Paul J. Silvia, Kari M. Eddington, Sarah H. Sperry, and Thomas R. Kwapil. "Conscientiousness and effort-related cardiac activity in response to piece-rate cash incentives." Motivation and Emotion (2018): <https://doi.org/10.1007/s11031-018-9668-4>.
- "The association of affective temperaments and bipolar spectrum psychopathology: An experience sampling study." Motivation and Emotion 42.1 (2018): 126-136. <https://doi.org/10.1007/s11031-017-9652-4>.
- Sperry, Sarah H., Donald R. Lynam, and Thomas R. Kwapil. "The convergence and divergence of impulsivity facets in daily life." The Journal of Personality (2017): <http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jopy.12359>.
- Lewandowski, Kathryn E., Sarah H. Sperry, Bruce M. Cohen, Lesley A. Norris, Garrett M. Fitzmaurice, Dost Ongur, and Matcheri S. Keshavan. "Treatment to Enhance Cognition in Bipolar Disorder (TREC-BD): Efficacy of a randomized controlled trial of cognitive remediation." The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry (2017): <http://www.psychiatrist.com/JCP/article/Pages/2017/v78n09/17m11476.aspx>.
- Sperry, Sarah H., and Thomas R. Kwapil. "What can daily life assessment tell us about the bipolar spectrum?." Psychiatry Research (2017): 20 Feb. 2017. <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2017.02.045>.
- Lewandowski, Kathryn E., Sarah H. Sperry, Dost Ongur, Bruce M. Cohen, Lesley A. Norris, and Matcheri S. Keshavan. "Cognitive remediation versus active computer control in bipolar disorder with psychosis: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial." Trials 17.1 (2016): 136.
- Silvia, Paul J., Zuzana Mironovová, Ashley N. McHone, Sarah H. Sperry, Kelly L. Harper, Thomas R. Kwapil, and Kari M. Eddington. "Do depressive symptoms blunt effort? An analysis of cardiac engagement and withdrawal for an increasingly difficult task." Biological Psychology 118 (2016): 52-60.
- Sperry, Sarah H., Donald R. Lynam, Molly A. Walsh, Leslie E. Horton, and Thomas R. Kwapil. "Examining the multidimensional structure of impulsivity in daily life." Personality and Individual Differences 94 (2016): 153-158.
- Sperry, Sarah H., Lauren K. O'Connor, Dost Ongur, Bruce M. Cohen, and Matcheri S. Keshavan. "Measuring cognition in bipolar disorder with psychosis using the MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery." The Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society 21.6 (2015): 468-472.
- Sperry, Sarah H., Molly A. Walsh, and Thomas R. Kwapil. "Measuring the construct validity and psychometric properties of a short form of the Hypomanic Personality Scale." Personality and Individual Differences 82 (2015): 52-57.
- Lewandowski, Kathryn E., Dost Ongur, Sarah H. Sperry, Bruce M. Cohen, Selma M. Sehovic, Jackie Goldbach, and Fei Du. "Myelin versus axon abnormalities in white matter in bipolar disorder." Neuropsychopharmacology 40 (2014): 1243-1249.
- Lewandowski, Kathryn E., Sarah H. Sperry, Bruce M. Cohen, and Dost Ongur. "Cognitive variability in psychotic disorders: an exploratory cross-diagnostic cluster analysis." Psychological Medicine 44.15 (2014): 3239-3248.
- Lewandowski, Kathryn E., Sarah H. Sperry, Mary C. Malloy, and Brent P. Forester. "Age as a predictor of cognitive decline in bipolar disorder." American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 12 (2013): 1462-1468.
- Lewandowski, Kathryn E., Bruce M. Cohen, Matcheri S. Keshavan, Sarah H. Sperry, and Dost Ongur. "Neuropsychological functioning predicts community outcomes in affective and non-affective psychoses: a 6-month follow-up." Schizophrenia Research 148 (2013): 34-37.
Click on the title to check out these pictures from the classroom remodeling project in the basement. A second project to replace the elevators will begin in September. Beginning with the freight elevator, each elevator will be out of service for three months. To get quickly from one floor to another, and improve your fitness, we will encourage the use of the stairs. The repainting of the northeast stairwell has been completed, and the painter is starting on the southwest stairwell.