Daniel C. Hyde
Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience
- Numerical and mathematical development
- Psychological reasoning (understanding the thoughts, goals, intentions of others)
I'm interested in nature and origin of abstract conceptual knowledge, how it arises, the functional organization and response properties of the brain that underlie it, and the contributions of nature and nurture to its development. I currently examine these issues in the areas of quantitative reasoning (numerosity, object tracking, numbers, math) and psychological reasoning (mental states/theory of mind, goals, intentions, actions) with young infants, children, and adults using event-related brain potentials (ERPs), optical imaging (fNIRS), as well as behavioral measures.
- Ph.D. from Harvard University
- Psych 216: Introduction to Child Development
- Psych 593: Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience
- Psychology 363: Developmental Methods
- Hyde, D. C., S. Khanum, and E. S. Spelke. "Brief non-symbolic, approximate number practice enhances subsequent exact symbolic arithmetic in children.." Cognition 131.1 (2014): 92-107.
- Hyde, D. C., C. L. Porter, R. Flom, and S. A. Stone. "Relational congruence facilitates neural mapping of spatial and temporal magnitudes in preverbal infants. ." Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 6 (2013): 102-112.
- Hyde, D. C., and E. S. Spelke. "Spatiotemporal dynamics of processing non-symbolic number: An ERP source localization study." Human Brain Mapping 33.9 (2012): 2189-2203.
- Hyde, D. C., and E. S. Spelke. "Neural signatures of number processing in human infants: Evidence for two core systems underlying non-verbal numerical cognition." Developmental Science 14.2 (2011): 360-371.
- Hyde, D. C., and J. N. Wood. "Spatial attention determines the nature of non-verbal numerical cognition ." Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 23.9 (2011): 2336-2351.
- Hyde, D. C., N. Winkler-Rhoades, S. Lee, V. Izard, K. Shapiro, and E. S. Spelke. "Spatial and numerical abilities without a complete natural language." Neuropsychologia 49.5 (2011): 924-936.
- Hyde, D. C., B. L. Jones, C. L. Porter, and R. Flom. "Neural signatures of face-voice synchrony in 5-month old infants." Developmental Psychobiology 53.4 (2011): 359-370.
- Hyde, D. C., D. Boas, C. Blair, and S. Carey. "Near-infrared spectroscopy shows right parietal specialization for number in preverbal infants ." NeuroImage 53.2 (2010): 647-652.
- Hyde, D. C., B. L. Jones, C. L. Porter, and R. Flom. "Visual stimulation enhances auditory processing in 3-month old infants and adults." Developmental Psychobiology 52.2 (2010): 181-189.
- Hyde, D. C., and E. S. Spelke. "All numbers are not equal: An electrophysiological investigation of small and large number representations ." Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 21.6 (2009): 1039-1053.
The storm at the beginning of June caused a large amount of water to get beneath the new roof membrane. Unfortunately this means that the new roof has to be removed an replaced. The re-roofing has begun. The north and west sides are done, and the roofing crew is working on the south and east sides. When the re-roofing is complete, then some flashing and waterproofing work are needed to complete the project. We hope the entire roof project will be done by October 1.